Great DIY Speaker Stands for $30

Oct. 5, 2011, 11:44 p.m.

So you've just bought your first pair of studio monitors.  You're obviously excited, but if you're like most people, you probably forgot the small detail of monitor stands.  You options are to either improvise and sacrifice optimal placement (kind of ruining the reason you got the monitors in the first place) or go out and spend nearly $100 bucks on a low quality mass produced stand.  I'm here to show you there's another option.  You can build your own great looking and high quality speaker stands for around $30.  Details after the break.

First of all, I'd like to thank my roommate, Adam Hall.  He's amazing at projects like this and basically did most of the work while I stood around trying to be productive sanding and spray painting.  He also is responsible for the great pictures of the finished project, the pictures of the process were done with our phones while working. I won't bore you with a step by step walkthrough, since this project is simple enough you should get a good idea just from looking through the picture gallery below.

I'll give the materials used and a disjointed jumble of tips that we encountered and leave you to figure out how which details work best for you. Materials: 3" PVC, thread-rod (slightly longer than PVC), 8'x 12"x 2" board, 4 washers, 8 nuts to fit on thread rod, spray paint of chosen color, wood finish of choice, 60 lb bag of sand to fill PVC (probably only used 40 lbs worth), silicon caulk to keep sand from falling out the bottom (out design prevents much more of this than many others on the internet by sinking the PVC 1/2" into the wooden ends). The price can range from around $25 to $40 depending on how many materials like wood stain or caulk you have on hand. The pictures and captions should help clear up the rest.

0003

0005

0008

0009

0001

• Yes, they are filled with sand to increase the density to prevent them from vibrating.
    jordancolburn - Feb. 15, 2014, 12:14 p.m.
  • I think we used a circular drill bit matching the PVC pipe diameter and it was just the right thickness for the pipe to sit in.
    jordancolburn - Feb. 15, 2014, 12:13 p.m.
  • How did you sink in the PVC ends? I see the groove, but I'm unsure how you produced it. Thanks.
    Nate Batchelder - Feb. 14, 2014, 3:03 p.m.
  • Hi did you perhaps fill the stands with sand, I see thats a common suggestion in other sites I've visited. Well done on the stands by the way.
    saturnz - Jan. 1, 2014, 10:17 p.m.
  • Thank you Jordan, very helpful! I'll definitely follow-up if I do them!
    streever - Aug. 31, 2013, 11:30 a.m.
  • I added the pictures I could find to the end of the post. I think the old image gallery had a few tips that got lost, but we basically made it up as we went, so It should be pretty straightforward. I'm still using them a few years later, and they work great. The only thing I might change now would be to consider running a large PVC channel through the middle to hide the cables. Good luck and let me know how it goes if you decide to try it.
    jordancolburn - Aug. 30, 2013, 3:39 p.m.
  • Thank you Jordan!
    streever - Aug. 26, 2013, 7:54 a.m.
  • Sorry, I think the gallery disappeared during a server move. I think I still have the photos. I'll check tonight and post them back here if I can find them. Thanks for your interest!
    jordancolburn - Aug. 26, 2013, 6:19 a.m.
  • (subscribing to replies)
    streever - Aug. 24, 2013, 3:15 p.m.
  • ...These look good, but I can't figure out how to see the process pictures--thanks for any help finding them!
    streever - Aug. 24, 2013, 3:14 p.m.